Our book club celebrates the immense diversity and exciting evolution of one of the world’s oldest literary forms: poetry. With an emphasis on the richness, creativity, and vitality of the form, the club will explore works of many genres, with a focus on the local and the contemporary. All are welcome to join! Meetings are casual; we’re less interested in literary theory and more interested in how poetry makes us feel.
This book club is organised in collaboration with Better Read Than Dead, and is co-hosted by Better Read staff and Unspoken Words team members.
When: Fourth Monday of each month, 6.30-7.30pm.
How much: This book club is FREE! We just ask that you register here to give us an idea of numbers.
What else: Drinks and snacks provided on us!
Membership: Book club members get 10% off book club titles, and membership is free. Just let the BRTD staff know you’re in book club.
- Feb 25th: The Odyssey, trans. by Emily Wilson (W. W. Norton, 2018)
- March 25th: a trillion tiny awakenings by Candy Royalle (UWAP, 2018)
- April 29th: Life on Mars by Tracy K Smith (Graywolf Press, 2011)
- May 27th: Flood Damages by Eunice Andrada (Giramondo, 2018)
- June 24th: TBC
- July 22nd: TBC
- Aug 26th: TBC
- Sept 23rd: TBC
- Oct 28th: TBC
- Nov 25th: TBC
- June: Inside my Mother by Ali Cobby Eckermann
- July: Parenthetical Bodies by Allison Gallagher
- Aug: Duino Elegies & The Sonnets to Orpheus by Rainer Maria Rilke (trans. Stephen Mitchell)
- Sept: Citizen by Claudia Rankine
- Oct: Rallying by Quinn Eades
- Nov: Blakwork by Alison Whittaker
This is a safer spaces event and all voices are welcome. It’s always okay to leave the room or take care of yourself if the discussion is putting you in a vulnerable position. If you need some support or want to check in with someone, please see the hosts.
Meetings are at Better Read Than Dead on King St, Newtown. The space is well-lit and quiet, and located upstairs (with functioning elevator access). The bookshop is accessible by train (Newtown station) or buses along King St. There is no designated parking, but several side streets in the vicinity have space to pull up and drop off / pick up. If you have specific access requirements, please get in touch!
For any questions, contact us.