Accessibility information prepared by the 2018 festival production team with guidance from Robin M. Eames.
We have active policies on safer spaces and anti-discrimination. Unspoken Words supports equal rights and does not advocate, support or practice discrimination based on race, religion, age, national origin, language, sex, gender, sexuality, or disability.
- All are welcome, and there will be no tolerance for discrimination.
- Content warnings will be provided where possible / necessary.
- It’s always okay to leave the space if you need to; don’t worry about interrupting.
- At every event, team members will be the floor to take care of the space. If you need any guidance or something’s not right, please approach us.
We offer tiered ticketing to reflect different earning and spending capacities. We also offer free sessions where possible.
If you’re experiencing financial hardship and you can’t access the cost of a ticket for a specific event, get in touch.
- If you have any queries about accessibility, or have specific accessibility requirements that aren’t covered by the information above, please feel free to contact the crew onsite at any event. You can also get in contact via the form on our website. We’ll do what we can to make the space right for you.
- While we use the motifs of ‘speaking’ and ‘words’, we don’t wish to privilege verbal expression over other forms of expression. We recognise that metaphors using ‘speech’ are sometimes overused in both poetry and activism circles, and that this can be isolating for many folks in the disability community and their allies. We wish to respect any mode of expression that you & your loved ones engage in. With love & solidarity.
2018 Festival Accessibility
- Live AUSLAN interpretations will be part of Opening Night and Closing Night.
- We are happy to use personal hearing loop equipment: drop us a line beforehand and our organisers will sort it out.
- All sessions will be well-lit, except some performances which will have good stage lighting but lowered audience lights.
- This festival is fragrance free. Please avoid the use of strong and/or aerosolised scents (e.g. perfume or scented lotion) to accommodate the needs of people with hypersensory issues or allergic reactions. If this is a concern or you have any questions please contact the event organisers.
- In each venue, smoking areas will be outside and a minimum of four metres from the entrance. Please endeavor to minimise secondhand smoke exposure & try to avoid bringing ash or smoke particles on your clothes/hair with you into the venue as much as is possible, to reduce risk for people will hypersensory issues or allergic reactions.
- We are recording some events (photo, video and/or sound) so that people who can’t make it in person can still engage with the festival.
- We will not photograph anyone who does not want to be photographed – feel free to flag with us if you have particular concerns.